About Great Plant Picks
Great Plant Picks is an educational program committed to building a comprehensive palette of outstanding plants for maritime Pacific Northwest gardens. Great Plant Picks is one of the educational outreach programs for the Elisabeth C. Miller Botanical Garden, providing a forum for sharing horticultural information with the wider gardening community.
Goals & Objectives
- Create a comprehensive list of hardy, reliable plants for home gardeners and industry professionals specifically focused on the maritime Northwest.
- Assemble selection committees with representation from Western British Columbia, Western Oregon and Western Washington with representation from a wide variety of horticultural backgrounds.
- Develop plant assessment programs and expert resources for the in-depth research of a plant’s suitability for the region.
- Provide easily accessible information on these selected plants.
- Furnish information on the best cultural practices with accurate characteristics on the selected plants.
- Network with the horticultural community to distribute GPP information.
- Provide and clarify accurate nomenclature and identification of the selected plants.
- Investigate through the most current resources the proper botanical names of the selected plants.
- Make available information to help the average person acquire the right plant.
- Use the highest quality photographs to show the best features of the selected plants.